Thirsk – The Area
We are just a few minutes walk from the centre of Thirsk, a picturesque market town, made famous by the James Herriot books written by the world famous vet-cum-author Alf Wight.
Thirsk and it’s surrounding area is home to a variety of tourist attractions including:
- The World of James Herriot museum – Travel back in time to what life was like when James was a vet in Yorkshire.
- Falconry UK Bird of Prey Centre – Where you can watch stunning falconry displays and handle these incredible birds.
- St Mary’s Church – A medieval church built between 1420 and 1480, and often called the cathedral of North Yorkshire.
- Ritz Cinema – Open every night from 7pm, the main feature starts at 7.30 pm. Occasional matinees at 2.30 pm.
- Carlton Lodge Outdoor Centre – Specialists in adventure, learning and discovery for children and young people.
- Thirsk Racecourse – Experience the beauty and excitement of a great Yorkshire day out at the races.
- Sutton Park – A fine example of early Georgian architecture, with prize-winning Heritage gardens and tea-rooms.
And much, more…
Thirsk is also an ideal location to set off and explore the beautiful Yorkshire countryside, by either, foot, cycle or rail! We are only around 6 miles from Sutton Bank and the stunning White Horse of Kilburn.
To the West is the Yorkshire Dales National Park, with the fells and valleys of the Pennines also offering a variety of sight-seeing and walking. Within easy reach are the cathedral ‘city’ of Ripon, the Georgian town of Richmond, with its impressive castle, and Brimham Rocks.
For more ideas of what to do during your stay – why not download the James Herriot Travel app from the iTunes Store!